Session 4: Break and Lesson Assignments
Assign partners/lessons and move people at the end of this break/start of the next session so they’re sitting at a table with others from their grade band.
Supplies & Prep
- CS Fundamentals Intro Workshop - Slides - TEMPLATE
- CS Fundamentals Intro Workshop - Notes - TEMPLATE
- Lesson Assignment Tables - 2018
Example Assignment: 12 person workshop Grade 1: 3 people | Grade 2: 1 person | Grade 3: 6 people | Grade 4: 1 person | Grade 5: 1 person
- Primary goal is to create pairs of people who come from the same context (classroom teachers together, district or school admins together, etc).
- More specifically, we want to prioritize pairing people who teach the same grade level. If this is not possible (say there is only one third grade teacher, for example):
- Pair with someone who serves multiple grades (tech teacher, school/district admin)
- Pair with another classroom teacher who doesn’t teach the same grade, but is close (e.g, pair the third grade teacher with a second grade teacher who doesn’t have a partner). In cases where you do this, teachers should prep the activities for the younger grade (in this example, second grade).
- If this is not possible, pair two classroom teachers who are not from neighboring grades.
- As you construct pairs, write down what grade the pair will represent for the dry runs
- If they are classroom teachers, this should be the youngest grade taught in the pair
- If they both serve multiple grades, they can choose which grade they will serve.
- Record pairs and their assigned grade in the lesson assignment table in the shared notes document
- Once you have paired teachers up, it’s time to figure out how they should be arranged in tables. Goals for tables
- Where possible, put classroom teachers who teach the same grade levels at the same table
- If it’s not possible to have a table full of the same grade, try putting teachers who are from neighboring grades at the same table (e.g., k and 1 at the same table)
- If this is not possible, put pairs from not-neighboring grades at the same table.
- Record table assignment in the lesson assignment table in the shared notes document
- Time permitting, use the table assignment slide to in the template deck to show people where to sit
NOTE: Use the blank table in your copy of CS Fundamentals Intro Workshop - Notes - TEMPLATE to record and communicate pairings and lesson assignments to teachers.
Once groups are at tables, use the grade assignments to assign lessons (pulling from the table below)
- If both pairs at a table represent the same grade, assign one pair to option 1 for that grade and the other pair to option 2 for that grade
- If each pair at a table is a different grade, assign each pair to option 1 from their grade
Consult the Lesson Assignment Tables - 2018 for a list of lessons for teachers to explore in their pairs, based on which lesson you modeled.